We’ve all looked from brand to brand for the perfect moisturizing winter cream to nourish our skin. Unfortunately, most of them are laden with chemicals, and they cause more harm than good. So, why not turn towards natural ingredients for your skincare woes this winter? We suggest til or sesame oil.
You just need to use it a little bit, and see how swiftly your skin transforms.
These nutrients makes til or sesame oil the ultimate beauty elixir
According to Dr Rinky Kapoor, cosmetic dermatologist & dermato-surgeon at The Esthetic Clinics, one should not be fooled by the size of the tiny wheatish and black coloured til seed, as it is power packed with mono and polyunsaturated fats (linoleic, oleic, palmitic and stearic), omega-6 fatty acids, flavonoid phenolic antioxidants, vitamins (A, E, B1, B2 and B3), minerals (zinc, calcium, magnesium etc.) and dietary fibres that makes it a popular ingredient in the culinary, and nutritional world. Til oil can do wonders for your skin and hair.
“Among the many natural facial oils, sesame oil trumps the Queen Oil, as it is absorbed into the skin almost instantly, and leaves behind the picture perfect skin,” says Dr Kapoor.
Til oil is an
- Antioxidant i.e. it fights free radical damage to the skin.
- Antimicrobial i.e. kills the harmful microbes and stops their spread.
- Anti-Inflammatory i.e. reduces swelling, redness, and inflammation giving immediate relief to the skin.
One of the biggest advantages of using sesame oil on your skin is that it ranks low on the comedogenic scale i.e. it won’t clog the skin pores.
When you apply til oil on your skin directly, it heals the skin and acts as the following:
The natural antioxidant and sesamol in til oil neutralises the harmful oxidizing effects of UV sun rays and free radicals. You can also use it to treat sunburns.
2. Anti-acne weapon
Til oil has excellent antibacterial properties, which helps to get rid of acne, pimple, blackheads, and whiteheads.
3. Moisturizer and skin detoxifier
“Til oil repairs the damaged skin cells and the presence of fatty acids and vitamins reduce wrinkles, fine lines and enlarged pores. Polyphenols in the sesame seeds prevent the skin from getting the oily shine and restore the natural barrier balance,” explains Dr Kapoor.
4. Exfoliator and skin brightener
Natural properties of til oil remove the dirt, oil, and bacteria from the skin leaving behind a naturally glowing, soft, and supple looking skin.
5. Damage skin healer
Til oil improves skin circulation and rejuvenation thus promoting the quick recovery of damaged cells. Minerals like zinc, copper, calcium, magnesium, and manganese in til oil can repair scar tissue and regenerate new skin cells.
Do you know, til oil can also be used on skin conditions like eczema, athlete ’s foot, and redness?
Here’s the right way to use sesame oil
“You can apply pure sesame oil directly on the skin in a small quantity or mix it with your skin products to get the maximum benefits out of it,” recommends Dr Kapoor.
- Before bathing, apply warm til oil on your body and massage for about 10 minutes. Leave it on for five minutes and wipe it off with a warm towel. Take a bath right after. Do this every day to keep the pores clean.
- Add a few drops of sesame oil to your night moisturizer; use it regularly and voila, you will wake up to happy skin every morning.
- Dab til oil on the acne, and leave it overnight for best results.
- Add a few drops of sesame oil to your face scrub, and exfoliate twice a week.
- Mix ½ cup of til oil with ½ cup apple cider vinegar and ¼ cup water. Apply this mix on your skin before going to bed at night.
- To use til oil as a sunscreen, apply a light layer on the skin half hour before, stepping out.
“People with extremely oily skin should avoid using til oil too often. Do a patch test on your inner elbow, before using til oil on the face. Consult your dermatologist before using til oil on the skin, and check the product label for the purity of the oil,” she concludes.
So ladies, this winter, nourish your skin with til or sesame oil as much as you can, and get that glow back.